When Demolished in. February 1965 the Cruck trusses dating from the 15th centuary were discovered. Staffordshire Achaeological Society carried out research before the demolishion was concluded . They reported that it was regretable that the building was not preserved for posterity and it was a loss of architectural heritage.
The view down High Street in the early 1900's from the same position .
The Cruck Cottages on the left. Manor cottages on the right.
An early 1960's view from the same position
A 1960's view from the same posotion.
Astons bakery would heve been behind the photographer
Early 1960's view across to the Cruck Cottages. Over the years this building housed the Post Office, A Building Society. The first Telephone Exchange and Lloyds Bank on the corner of Rookery Lane
The white building on the corner of Bakers Lane was formerley Ted Buckleys Bakers shop, here occupied by Harmaony Furnishers who later occupied the large showroom built when the site was redeveloped.
It is said that some Aldridge residents took their turkeys to Ted Buckley at Christmas for him to cook in his large ovens.
Celebrations for the Coronation of George V in 1911 at the same position
An unobstructed view of the shops with Hudsons drapers on the right
Before the new shops were built, at this position there was a bowling green with open views across to the buildings in Portland Road
A late 1960's view, George Mason grocers occupies the site to become Lloyds Bank. The shop with the arched window was a florist. Next was Potts opticians and then Jims Barbers shop and finaly a cafe. Previously these premises formed the Swan pub and the arch way was the way through to the rear.